Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Last Night....

Let me start by telling you a little about the Brazos Valley Bombers. This was their first year in the Texas Collegiate League, which is a summer baseball league. The teams are made up entirely of college players, giving them a chance to play with wood bats, in a minor league style environment, and in front of Major League scouts. If you know anything at all about me, you know that I'm a huge baseball fan.....and a die hard Yankees fan. The games are always fun. In the beginning, we wanted to go to a lot of games, but because of the rain and the heat we were only able to catch a couple.

Last night was a playoff game. I didn't really have any intentions on going. It was over 100 degrees yesterday and I was tired....but I was listening to the radio and I heard about this contest they were having. They were going to be giving away over $7500 worth of jewels. 19 blue topazes worth $250 each and 1 diamond worth $2500. That's all the information they would give out. That's all I needed to hear though. Diamonds and baseball???? That's total heaven for me. So I grabbed hubby and baby and said we're going to the game.

I really didn't think I was going to win. I never win anything and I could just imagine all the diamond crazed women that were going to be there. Still, I put on my lucky gear...a light blue tank top with Yankees written across the chest, and my Yankees Jersey with my lucky number 2 on the back. I also have a lucky Derek Jeter baseball cap, but I was scared I was going to mess it up so I just wore my regular Yankees cap.


My little Yankee-in-training also wore his lucky gear!


We got there and I was directed to go to the home dugout where I saw a growing group of ladies standing. While there, we were explained the rules. They had threw 80 stars in the outfield. There were 20 of each color - green, blue, gold and silver. They lined us up on the third baseline. There were 300 of us that got to participate. Round 1 was just trying to get one of the 80 stars.

So, we all lined up on the third baseline. This woman next to me kept inching up...people just can't play fair can they?? So finally the announcer said GO and we were off. I found a star and started reaching for it, but some b***h grabbed it first! UGH, so then I saw another one and started running for it. I saw another girl going after it too, so I just dove - just like Derek Jeter would have done!. I got it! I was so excited.

They had people holding up signs that had the colors written on them. I had a green star so I found the person holding the "Green" sign.


I'm the one in the Yankees get-up holding my star

They had written each color on a piece of paper and put it in a hat. They drew out the color green! Everyone that didn't have a green star had to leave the field. There were 20 of us left.



Each star had a number on it. They lined the 20 of us up by home plate. Then they started drawing numbers out of a hat. The last one standing won the diamond. He drew number after number after number and I was still standing there. I looked up at my sweetie as my knees started shaking...it was so nervewrecking the way they drew it out...it was like how they do it on those reality shows like American Idol....there were 4 of us left up there....he was taking his sweet time pulling the numbers out...but alas he picked my number. I wasn't too dissappointed though, I got a beautiful Blue Topaz.

I think the Topaz is actually prettier than the diamond...but that's my opinion. It was a lot of fun and I can't believe that I actually won something. Not to mention they showed it on the local news. My dad was watching and said he was laughing so hard because he saw me dive on the ground. It was so much fun!


My beautiful prize!

2 opinions rendered:

Unknown said...

Great write up Sophia! I would be ashamed of you had that little guy not been sporing his YANKEE gear!!!

~GO BOMBERS~

Sophia said...

95% of his wardrobe is Yankees gear!