Monday, August 20, 2007

Deal Me In - Manic Monday!




My dad is a big poker player. He taught me how to play when I was about 5 years old. I remember he had this big tin can full of pennies and we would play for hours.

Last winter, my boyfriend and I wanted a clean slate and we moved to a town where nobody knew us. We wanted to start completely over. He was working nights and I'd be bored out of my mind. I didn't know anyone and wanted to make some friends. I noticed a sign on the window of a bar/restaurant that read "Texas Hold 'em Tournaments." I wanted to see what was all about, so I went one night. I'm normally very shy and don't go ANYWHERE by myself, but this time, I decided to take a chance. I ended up having such a great time that I went again. They had them on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I made some really good friends and had such a blast. When I found out I was pregnant, the "poker guys" were some of the first people that I told. They even threw me a baby shower. It was like a big family. Instead of buying me shots or beer, they'd bring me a shot glass with water or orange juice. It was a blast.

Shortly after my son was born, my dad got really sick and we moved back home. The main thing I miss about that little town is the poker games. I've kept in touch with some of the "family" through email and stuff, but it's not the same. Yeah, there are games here too, but they're just not the same at all. Although, it's been fun playing my dad for pennies again! Now I can totally kick his butt!

11 opinions rendered:

Magdalen Islands said...

What an interesting story Sophia. It sort of says a lot for small towns and poker too!

Anonymous said...

what a wonderful memory!! I loved the part about the oJ or water shots :) Have a great Monday.

Sarge Charlie said...

Sarge Charlie is my name and Texas Hold'em is my game.... poker players and mostly nice guys, sometimes you will find a jerk.

Crazy Working Mom said...

Poker is so much fun with the right people. :) Great story and MM entry.

Stine said...

Poker is a lot of fun - but I'm a sucker for Canasta, myself...

Durward Discussion said...

Cards may be some sort of bonding glue between fathers and daughters. With my dad it was cribbage. It is a habit you miss when it is gone.

maiylah said...

wonderful memories ... thanks for sharing! :)

happy MM

maiylah's snippets

Jenny McB said...

Some people join knitting clubs, but I can see how poker can be social in a new town. We had the penny jar too for poker.

Lisa Ryan said...

Sounds like a blast! I love poker and pretty much all card games. My husband and his buddies let me play in their weekly game when I became pregnant with our first child. Those weekly games lasted 10 years. Very fond memories...

Unknown said...

Great account of the "Good Old Days!"

I too LOVE Texas Hold'em. I usually go off to Foxwoods six times a year! I used to be a crazed maniac when it came to watching the tournaments on TV.

~got my poker face on~

Head Cookie said...

Hey Sophia,

There is one more thing we have in common. I love to play Holdem. I played in two tourneys this weekend in fact. I placed 4th on Sunday and on Saturday I took 2nd. Love to play.